Conditional Sentences




Conditional sentences


OR


If sentences










Introduction



There are 4 main types of if sentences in English, often called conditional sentences. These sentences are in two halves (clauses):



1.The if part (If clause, condition)


2.The other part where you can use words such as can/will/may/might/ could and would.(main clause,result or consequence)

Formulation


Conditional 0 (Zero) : If + present simple + present simple.


Conditional I (First conditional) : if + present simple + future simple.


Conditional II (Second conditional) : If + past simple + Would do.


Conditional III (Third Conditional) : If + past perfect + would have done.

Note



The " If " clause can be either the first or the second part of the sentence, you can switch them


Conditional Zero (0)


Formulation : if + present simple + present simple.
Concept : A fact, something that is always true.

The zero conditional is used to make statements about the real world, and often refers to general truths, such as scientific facts. In these sentences, the time is now or always and the situation is real and possible.

Examples

If you heat the water to 100 degrees, it boils.

If you heat ice, it melts.

If it rains, the grass gets wet.

Note:


For Conditional zero, it is also possible to use "WHEN" instead of "IF", Because it is not a real conditional sentence like,

When it rains, the grass gets wet.

Conditional sentence type I


Formulation: If + present simple + simple future.(will do)
 
Concept: A present/ future situation of high probability.

is used to talk about things which are possible in the present or the future -- things which may happen.

Note


The probability is about the probability of the action in 'IF' clause, not in not the other clause (consequence clause)

Examples:


If you swallow some of the cleaning fluid, it will kill you


If I get a little humility, I will be perfect.

If I see her tomorrow, I will speak to her.

Conditional sentence Type II


formulation: if + simple past + would do

Concept: 1. A present / future situation of low probability.

2. Imaginary or Hypothetical.

used for talking about unreal situations in the present or in the future. The second conditional is used to talk about things which are unreal (not true or not possible) in the present or the future -- things which don't or won't happen.

Note:


The probability is about the probability of the action in 'IF' clause, not in not the other clause (consequence clause)

Examples:


(A present / future situation of low probability. )

If I saw her tomorrow, I would speak to her.
If anything changed, we would let you know.

(Imaginary or Hypothetical.)

If I had some time, I would tidy up my office.

If I were a lawyer, I would not take this case.



Note:


The correct form of the verb 'to be' to used in conditional II is 'were' for all pronouns, in some cases 'was' is acceptable, but it is better to keep it to 'were' to ensure you were always right.

Conditional sentence type III


formulation : If + past perfect (had done )+ would have done.


Concept: A past situation, too late, zero possibility.

Type 3 sentences are used when it is impossible for condition to be fulfilled because the possibility has already passed

Examples:


If I had seen her, I would have spoken to her.

I would not have let them in if they had been late.

If anything had changed, we would have let you know.

Special cases


1.use of would for politeness.

If you would follow me, I'll show you your room.

2. Imperatives and requests in Conditional I

If you see john, please give him this book.

Could you give john this book please if you see him?

3. Use of may/Might/Could.

These can be used in "consequence clause" to reduce the certainty of action in that clause like


1. (In Conditional I):

If I see her tomorrow. I will speak to her.
(There is no doubt that i will speak to her if I see her)


If I see her tomorrow, I may/might/would speak to her.
(There is some doubt that I'll speak to her even if I see her )

2. (In Conditional II):


If they were late again, I would not let them in.
(It is sure that I will not let them in.)


If they were late again, I might not let them in.
(It is possible that I may not let them in.)


3. (In conditional III)


If I had had some time last week, I would have tidied up my office.
(It is sure that I would have tidied it up.)


If I had had some time last week, I might/Could have tidied up my office.
(show the possibility)

Note:


Use 'MAY' only in conditional I sentences.'Might' and 'COULD' can used in all three real conditionals.

Avoid using 'SHOULD' instead of will or would in conditional sentences.

If I knew his name, I should (Would) say hello to him.

NOTE


Using Commas in Conditional Sentences
When the condition is at the start of the sentence (like in all the examples above), it is usual to separate it from the main clause with a comma. However, if the condition is at the back of the sentence, it is less common to use a comma. (You can still use a comma to assist your reader if you think it aids understanding.)


Common Mistakes


1.Using 'WHEN' instead of 'IF' in real conditionals I, II, III.

(sentence is correct but it is no longer a conditional sentence.)


2.Using 'WILL' or 'WOULD' twice.




3. Mixing up one conditional with another.

Example: (Conditional I & II)


Mistake



How much would it be If I pay cash?


Either: How much will it be if I pay cash? (I)


(OR)

How much would it be if I paid cash?(II)


(conditional II & III)


Mistake: If you came earlier, we would have had more time.


Either: If you came earlier, we would have more time.(II)

(OR)

If you had come earlier,we would have had more time.(II)

THANKS

ALI HAIDER

(Remember me in your prayers).



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHINA PAKISTAN ECONOMIC CORRIDOR (CPEC)

OBOR (BELT AND ROAD INITIATIVE)

Khilafat Movement